Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tanzanian re-entry

I had been anticipating the smells...the delicious ever-present wood smoke and florals, and wasn't at all disappointed from the moment I stepped out of the plane following an uneventful and mercifully short journey this time -- only 24 hours of travel time from door to door.

It all feels like 'home', so incredibly familiar. Last evening found me at my favorite Arusha eatery, sitting outdoors next to a busy street with my collegues Corey and Stephen, sharing platters of barbequed fish and chicken and roasted sweet plantain. A charcoal water heater nearby, with a spigot for hand washing pre and post the feast, consumed without cutlery (unless you place a special request for it, and really...who'd want to!?!) So much more enjoyable to have 30 friendly fingers tearing off chunks of delicious fish, and scrambling for the yummy bits of shredded cabbage and carrots in whatever that delightful sauce was. Cold African beer to wash it all down.

The jacarandas and bougainvilleas are in full, glorious bloom. The weather is perfect...cool enough for a duvet at night, deliciously warm in the daytime. Today was spent buying odds and ends for equipping our tent houses, and hopefully we'll be travelling to the village (how, has yet to be determined) on Saturday.

The internet seems to be slower than ever, so it remains to be seen if I'll be able to start publishing photos anytime soon.

Home...in so many ways this does feel like home, though here in the city I know that in reality I likely could never feel comfortable living behind a gated fence, separated from my neigbours this way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh how I've missed your writing! Your last entry before leaving Ottawa was most moving and I must say brought tears to my eyes. Enjoy your journey and be well and be safe. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Take care, Jotu!
Love ya,
Wanda