Thursday, November 06, 2008

Hot Time...Summer in the City

(wrote this Tuesday...posting on Thursday...let's just say I've missed the boat on a few internet connection possibilities...finally back on line, back in the village)

Came to Arusha this morning. I was getting a little bummed out up on the mountain, and was advised by many to get myself out and about for a few days of R&R far removed from the loneliness of my perch. Interesting trip, as usual. The Peugeot's are designed to carry a driver and seven passengers. Today's driver saw nothing wrong with putting two extra people on board, so I shared a single seat for one hour with a young Maasai fellow. Quite the sensation...one hour propped up on one buttock, one arm cradling my computer laden backpack, the other arm draped around the shoulders of this young fellow I'd never met...him pressed into my chest, nicely tucked under my arm (he fell asleep midway and I suppose we'd have been quite a picture for someone looking in...this young fellow cuddled up by sheer necessity, head bobbing, my arm protectively around him).

Stepped into my favorite Naaz hotel...modest but safe and clean...and almost wiped out on the tile floors. The soles of my flipflops were totally encrusted with the thorny burrs I collect by walking around camp. On the sand they sort of work like studded car tires, giving me a bit of extra traction on the hills. On tile though, it felt like I was wearing ice skates. So, spent an hour picking them out of my only shoes.

How to describe the joy of a hot shower, with more than enough water for a full shampoo and careful rinse and even a detailed foot scrubbing? Bliss! Then I grabbed a terrific Indian buffet lunch downstairs, met up with an old friend from last year, and found myself an ATM that was compatible with my bank card. Back in my room now, watching TV news of the US Election and munching on Malaysian knock-off Prigle-y sort of chips. The novelty of this city time will undoubtedly wear off quite quickly, but I intend to make the most of the next two days or so.

No comments: