Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Ups and Downs

The past few days have been such a roller coaster ride. I've (indirectly, don't panic) been robbed of all the cash I had left for this month's projects and expenses, I've had a motorcycle ride--deliciously helmetless (low speeds, again, don't panic) through the stunningly gorgeous nearby countryside, I've pigged out on Indian food in the city, watched old movies on HBO India, been inspired to think big and try selling CNN Africa on the idea of coming up here to cover some of our projects. I've had some good laughs...then almost cried...and waffled between "I want to go home...NOW" and "I never want to leave this place", more times than I would have imagined possible. I've marvelled at a world where technology lets me run to an ATM to restore my lost funds...and then marvelled even more at the fact that I am so incredibly fortunate to have that option! I've travelled to Arusha in the saddest looking Peugeot of the fleet...cracked windshield, masking tape over the blade-less wiper arm that sprang to life at will several times through the trip, indescribable engine noises at startup, and nine of us sitting in the seven available passenger seats...some more calmed than others by the windshield stickers which declare the car to be "Protected by the Blood of Jesus". I'm sitting at my 'dining room' table, with a cool breeze blowing through the house (everyone keeps telling me how COLD it is, though I'm ever so comfortable in just my jeans and t-shirt), listening to the chorus of bird songs that is so ever-present I rarely even notice any more. Somewhere a few houses down, Arnold is having a good giggle about something, and it's tempting to stop and go out and get my afternoon hugs from the little guy.
And, since this is Africa, and time spent here in the village is the best lesson anyone ever could have in 'living in the moment', I'm now shutting off the computer and heading outside to do precisely that!!

No comments: